Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Stars are Bright Quilt

This is the quilt I've been working on for over a year....off and on, but none the less, my goal is have it completed in the next couple of months. 

The pattern (Star Power in the April 2009 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting) was nothing too complicated; just fat quarters.  I traced the star pattern on to freezer paper and then did a 'stack and whack' kind of move.  While the pattern called for 13 fat quarters, somehow I end up with 14 stars.  Oh well!  Keeps it interesting.   You can find the template and the instructions for the stars here.  


From American Patchwork and Quilting 'Crazy Stars'

The project calls for one to shuffle the top piece of fabric around the star to back of the pile.  I did this part at the very beginning.  For the most part, I was happy with the combinations, but every once and a while I would adjust the fabric combinations to my liking.  Still ended up with 14 different fabric combinations.  I did run out of one of my fabrics.  I'm not sure if I used too much of the fat quarter, or it was a small fat quarter.  See if you can figure out which of the blocks has a different fabric in it in the photo below....

Using my felt wall, I organized the stars in a pattern that I felt was pleasing to the eye. I ended up with three gold blocks, two green blocks, two floral blocks and the rest, purple.  This is how I organized my blocks: 


So close, but still so very far away....
You can see the sashing pieces in the photo.  I learned that a design wall was vital to this quilt's outcome.  I took multiple photos once everything was up on the wall because I have a two and half year old that likes to help.  I printed out one of the pictures as a reference when I started piecing together the blocks. 

I also learned about 'scant' 1/4 inch seams during this project.  My mom helped me square up the sashing pieces; some of them came out small.  Turns out, I was using normal 1/4 inch seams, when a scant 1/4 inch should have been used. Lesson learned!  Since sewing the pieces together, I've had to double stitch some of them as they are not all the same size.  

These are the blocks put together so far:
Not too shabby!
The stars are one row; the sashing is a separate row right now.  

I'll keep posting as the project comes to completion.  Not sure about what color(s) to use for the backing.  Thoughts?  



No comments:

Post a Comment